Some More Winemaking Words

A number of many different terms tend to be used in winemaking and unless the average person gets some knowledge as to the meaning of these terms, they may find it quite confusing when learning about winemaking and the different things involved in the winemaking process. This may make it difficult to converse with people about the subject and understand advice that is given by other people proficient in the process. The lack of knowledge about the prevalent terms in winemaking can be a problem and it because of this reason; people who want to be involved in the process of winemaking are urged to study these terms.

When a person speaks about the body of wine, it usually refers to how that wine tends to feel in your mouth. A wine may be full-bodied or rather medium and light bodied. A body of wine is made possible by a number of things and this usually includes a combination of sugar, alcohol and glycerin. A balance of wine usually refers to how well everything combines together and this can only be decided when the clarity of wine is being spoken about but certainly not the color.

An airlock is a device which is put in the fermenter and which makes sure that carbon dioxide is allowed to escape from the wine during the fermentation process. It is a very smart device which allows carbon dioxide escape without allowing oxygen to get in and ruin the wine. A bung on the other hand is a stopper which is there to ensure that the airlock stays in place. A carboy is a container which is used as a fermenter in the process of the second fermentation. It may hold as much as six gallons or as little as a gallon of wine; the amount really depends on what you’re brewing. Usually it is made from glass. An ullage is the space between the bung and the highest point of wine inside the bottle.

Yeast is a crucial element involved in winemaking. Yeast is what helps the conversion of sugar into alcohol by the means of yeast enzymes. It is an important component of wine and without yeast; your wine is no more than grape juice or fruit juice.

Trub is another terms used to describe lees. Both terms tend to refer to the sediment which accumulates at the base of the fermentation container. Anything found floating in the wine is usually under the category of flocculates. The process of removal of bits called filtering and it happens at the end of fermentation.

If something you have eaten has a bad taste, it is called an aftertaste and this is usually a terrible thing. In wine however, it’s a whole lot different. An aftertaste of a wine is the taste or flavor which you perceive after taking a glass of the wine. Great wine leaves a great aftertaste which may be anything from smooth, fruity, bitter, oaky or sour. The term aftertaste is one of the means which you use to describe the quality of wine and it is also referred to in certain quarters as the finish.

The study of how to make wine is known as oenology and it comes from the Greek word for grape. The study of how to grow the right grapes for making of wine is called viniculture. A mastery of these terms will make your experience at winemaking a much easier process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *